Wrongful Death Lawyers in Michigan
Losing a loved one is painful enough without having to fight for justice. If negligence or intentional wrongdoing resulted in an untimely death, the victim's family deserves compensation. This is where an experienced wrongful death lawyer can make all the difference.
Serling & Abramson, P.C. has a proven track record fighting for just compensation after tragic, preventable deaths in Michigan. Our attorneys are compassionate advocates who understand this is an extraordinarily difficult time. We will handle every aspect of your wrongful death claim so you can focus on healing.
Why Choose Serling & Abramson, P.C.
When a loved one's life is cut short by another's negligence or misconduct, you need an advocate who will fight for justice. Serling & Abramson, P.C. have over 50 years of experience helping Michigan families recover after tragic wrongful deaths. Here's why we should be your first call.
With over 50 years representing victims in Michigan, Serling & Abramson, P.C. has the expertise to build a solid wrongful death case. Our legal team includes:
- Lawyers who know how the other side thinks and acts. We can predict their arguments and strategies.
- Trial attorneys with superior litigation skills. We understand how to make a convincing wrongful death case in court.
- Diligent investigators gather police reports, autopsy records, video evidence, and other vital documents to prove liability.
We are endorsed by Plumbers Local Union 98 as asbestos attorneys and have extensive experience with mesothelioma claims.
How a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Works
Pursuing compensation after a wrongful death is complex. Our attorneys will handle every aspect of the case so you can focus on moving forward. Key steps include:
- Establishing liability. We must prove the defendant's negligent or intentional actions directly caused your loved one's death. Strong evidence is crucial.
- Calculating damages. Economic damages account for lost income and benefits. Non-economic damages address pain, suffering, loss of companionship, and other intangible losses.
- Filing a claim. We notify the at-fault party we are seeking damages from and try to reach a fair settlement. If they refuse, we file a lawsuit.
- Building a convincing case. We gather police reports, medical records, expert testimony, and other evidence. Witness interviews are also important.
- Negotiating a settlement. Most cases settle out of court. If negotiations fail, we take the case to trial. Our exceptional trial lawyers have the litigation experience to persuasively present your case.
- Getting compensation. If we win at trial or negotiate a settlement, the defendant's insurance company will issue compensation for your damages. You will finally have the resources to move forward.
Wrongful Death Case Types
Serling & Abramson, P.C. handle wrongful death cases in a wide range of contexts. Some examples include:
- Motor vehicle accidents. Collisions involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, public transportation, rideshares, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Common factors are drunk driving, distraction, speeding, and reckless driving.
- Workplace accidents. Falls from heights, heavy machinery accidents, trench collapses, and electrocutions on construction sites. Lack of training or protective gear and negligent safety policies also contribute.
- Nursing home abuse. Bedsores, malnutrition, dehydration, infections, wandering, and medication errors due to neglect and insufficient staffing. Physical abuse also occurs.
- Defective products. Faulty vehicle parts, dangerous medications, and other defective products cause death when used as intended.
- Police misconduct. Excessive force, false arrest, improper restraints, and failure to provide timely medical care to people in custody.
- Drowning. Backyard pools, community pools, water parks, beaches, boats, and bathtubs. Lack of fencing, lifeguards, or floatation devices are common factors.
In addition to the above wrongful death cases, our firm can also help with cases involving: remises liability, fires, dog bites, environmental contamination, medical malpractice, drug overdoses, product defects, pedestrian accidents, falling, firearms, and hunting accidents also result in preventable deaths. Our attorneys can pursue compensation in any wrongful death context.
Wrongful Death Damages
No amount of money can replace your loved one. However financial compensation can help ease the burden during an extraordinarily difficult time. Here are the types of damages that may be available in a wrongful death case.
- Medical and funeral expenses. Costs directly related to your loved one's death.
- Lost wages and benefits. Compensation for their future earning potential if the death had not occurred.
- Pain and suffering. Though difficult to quantify, monetary damages address your loved one's suffering before death.
- Loss of companionship. Compensation for losing your loved one's love, guidance, care, and consortium.
- Punitive damages. If gross negligence or intentional misconduct caused the death, the at-fault party may owe additional punitive damages.
The exact damages depend on the specific circumstances of your case. Our attorneys have the expertise to seek the maximum available compensation through settlement negotiations or trial.
Is Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer Right for Me?
Losing someone you love is devastating enough without having to handle a complex legal claim on your own. An experienced wrongful death attorney levels the playing field. We know how to build a compelling case, deal with insurance companies, and fight for full financial recovery. With so much at stake, a respected law firm's expertise is worth every penny.