Detroit has many nicknames. The D. The Motor City. Motown. The 3-1-3. It may be obvious where some of these names come from. The motor city is of course after the auto industry that found its birthplace in Detroit. Motown is a reflection of the great music legends who have come out of the city. The 3-1-3 may not be as clear for some - but the nickname is a homage to the area code used in Detroit city limits. March 13th - 3/13 is thus the perfect day to celebrate Detroit!
While there is no formal celebration for 3/13 - locals use this day to share their love for Detroit and support Detroit grown businesses. Many restaurants, bars, and shops that call Detroit home put on events or sales to mark the day. Others use the day to reflect on Detroit history.
Here are some fun facts about the City of Detroit!
- Detroit hold a lot of firsts
- Detroit is home to the first paved road
- Detroit was the first city to have individually assigned phone numbers
- The first ever state fair was hosted in Detroit
- Detroit has the country’s second biggest theater district just after New York
- The city is home to 30,000 theater seats at nearly three dozen theaters
- Detroit is home to one of the country’s largest art collection with over 60,000 pieces of art
- Detroit’s Eastern Market is recognized as one of the largest flower markets in the world
- Detroit’s music scene is world renowned
- Techno music was invented in Detroit
- Motown legends such as Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson & the Jackson 5, Martha Reeves, Lionel Richie, and Aretha Franklin were all born and raised in Detroit
- In 1913, Henry Ford installed the first moving assembly line for mass production of an entire automobile - right here in Detroit.
Being home to the motor city is something Detroit is very proud of. Unfortunately, those who worked in the auto industry or in industrial factory settings, may have higher rates of asbestos exposure. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with an asbestos related disease such as mesothelioma or lung cancer, help starts here. Fill out a free case evaluation today. As the first firm in Michigan to win an asbestos case, Serling and Abramson PC is proud to help Detroiters.