UK Teacher Died from Cancer

January 22, 2016
According to theguardian.com, a primary school teacher who contracted cancer after decades of exposure to asbestos used as pinboards for children’s artwork died after a three-year battle with mesothelioma. Elizabeth Belt released in a detailed statement before her death at age 68 recounting the years spent in schools exposed to asbestos before it was banned in the 1980s. Belt’s statement said that at her first teaching post in 1968, at Brigg County primary school, the classrooms “would seem a bit dusty” and that “there may have been exposure to asbestos at the infant section of the school.”

A coroner ruled Elizabeth Belt’s death as a result of an industrial disease. Belt’s family has no doubts that Elizabeth contracted malignant mesothelioma as a result of ingesting asbestos while working as a teacher at various schools in north Lincolnshire between 1968 and 1995. The North Lincolnshire council’s insurers had accepted a claim with Belt’s family.

In the USA and around the world, asbestos exposure has been shown to cause malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer, asbestosis and a variety of other cancers. If you or a friend has been diagnosed with asbestosis, lung cancer or mesothelioma, please call us at 1(800)995-6991 for a free consultation.