According to the San Jose Mercury News, a Los Angeles jury awarded $13 million to a 73-year-old woman who contracted a deadly disease from using asbestos-containing talcum powder manufactured by Colgate-Palmolive Co. After only two hours of deliberation, the jury found that Colgate-Palmolive Co was 95 percent responsible for the woman’s mesothelioma.
The article states that the Food and Drug Administration conducted a study more than five years ago that found no asbestos in cosmetics it tested containing talcum power. However, the agency said there’s been concern about asbestos contamination in talc since the 1970s. Jurors found the company negligent for the design, manufacture or sale of the product and found that it presented a substantial danger that they failed to warn consumers about.
Asbestos exposure has been shown to cause malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer, asbestosis and a variety of other cancers. If you or a friend has been diagnosed with asbestosis, lung cancer or mesothelioma, please call us at 1(800)995-6991 for a free consultation.